Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation
Competition No.: S103827687
Closing Date: Oct 16, 2015
Position Type: Full Time - Operating Funded
Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications, the Communications Coordinator implements strategic communications, activities and social media plans that effectively facilitate and enhance communications among the faculty’s various internal and external audiences.
Other duties will include writing and editing various communications vehicles, providing administrative support to the Marketing and Communications team and assisting in the management of the faculty website/social media accounts. This individual will also support design and production projects for web, mobile, print and social media outreach and measurement as required.
- Ensures accurate and consistent communications are provided to internal and external stakeholders
- Prepares marketing/communications presentations and reports as required for Campus and Community Recreation, Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation and University of Alberta
- Manages information regarding Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation in other University publications,media and information sources and participates in key campus networks (Campus Communicators, Health Promotion, Alumni Relations, Students’ Union, etc.)
- Seeks out and identifies compelling stories from across the Faculty that embody and propel the Faculty’s core messages; interviews Faculty members, writes and pitches stories and coordinates media availability to appropriate media outlets and for inclusion in various Faculty and UAlberta channels
- Works with Faculty Marketing and Communications colleagues across campus to disseminate stories through other channels, social media, government relations, community relations newsletters, campus community network, MarComm, University Relations, etc.
- Writes stories for the Faculty website and newsletter, ensuring style, tone and format is appropriate for those audiences
- Writes advertising copy, collateral material copy, speeches, Faculty and Staff communications, etc.
- Contributes to the implementation and roll out of strategic internal and external communications plans and activities; including identifying communication needs, managing communications and supervising the implementation of plans in conjunction with program coordinators
- Monitors and provides feedback on the effectiveness of internal communications strategies and proposes creative methods for improvements
- Assists in the management, content and production of the Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation website
- Writes and edits content across all communications genres (plans reports, articles, letters, promotional pieces, speeches, social media, etc.)
- Develops a story calendar for website features on homepage
- Manages information regarding Campus and Community Recreation in other University publications, media and information sources and participate in key campus networks (Campus Communicators, Health Promotion, Alumni Relations, Students’ Union, etc.)
- Facilitates Faculty social media participation, including the management of branding, statistical interpretation, messaging provided, media avenues, for both the Faculty and Campus and Community Recreation (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Evaluates and manages development, design, measurement and renewal of social media platforms such as Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and Facebook, as required
- Uses understanding of image creation, design layout, type and color to guide internal teams to desired project result
- Participates and contributes forward thinking design solutions or ideas during project strategy and/or team brainstorming sessions
- Effectively captures stories of announcements, events and other significant activities electronically for communications purposes
- Performs other duties as required
- The ideal candidate will have an undergraduate degree in writing, communications, journalism, marketing or related field; equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered
- A minimum of 2 years experience in related position is required
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including strong public speaking and presentation skills
- Expert ability on social media, a proven track record of developing implementing social media strategies would be an asset
- Understanding of Google Analytics and ability to set up custom reports
- Strong troubleshooting skills and the ability to prioritize to meet very tight turn around times on multiple projects
- Experience in web development, web writing and project management is an asset
- Knowledge of graphic design tools such as Adobe Creative Suite; (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat) would be an asset