February 8, 2012
Date Available: Immediately
Commensurate with experience
The Communications Coordinator fulfills an integral supporting role at the Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter; assisting the Resource Development and Communications team achieve business objectives by positioning the agency with key stakeholders and increasing the understanding of the scope of the agency’s work in the community.
This is a full-time non-union position reporting to the Manager of Communications. Hours of work are Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week with some flexibility. The Communication Coordinator will be primarily responsible for supporting the operational goals of the communications plan.
Your responsibilities will include, but limited to:
- Social media and website content co-ordination
- Event planning and organization for stakeholder and public awareness initiatives
- Implementation of employee communications strategies to increase engagement using vehicles such as the internal newsletter
- Assist in writing printed communications materials
- Assist with media relations campaigns
- Organization and maintenance of corporate promotional and collateral materials
- Supporting Resource Development (and other department) initiatives as assigned
The ideal candidate will have the following background:
- Post secondary degree or diploma in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or Marketing
- 3 years experience in a similar role
- Superior writing and editing skills
- Solid knowledge of media platforms including Face book, Twitter, Word press, Hoot Suite, LinkedIn, etc
- Proficient ability navigating website content management systems
- Ability to work with Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop and In Design considered an asset
- Strong planning, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Flexible, hands on, “can do” attitude
- Proven ability to work well in a team environment and establish strong collaborative working relationships.
- A second language would be considered an asset.
- A criminal records search and an intervention check is a condition of employment
This position offers a great growth opportunity for a junior communications generalist to make an active contribution to the strategic goals of the organization. Occasional evening and weekend hours will be required.