This position offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at www.hrs.ualberta.ca.
Are you interested in sharing stories of medical research breakthroughs, student achievements and goodwill work?
The Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry at the University of Alberta is looking for a dynamic communicator with exceptional writing skills and media relations experience to work collaboratively on our growing communications team. The successful candidate will support the Dean's Office and department Chairs to develop, implement and monitor communications materials and activities. The Communications Associate contributes to activities resulting in an enhanced public profile, more public and government support for the research and awareness of clinical and academic work of scientist, physician and dental professionals, more and larger financial contributions to the faculty, and the attraction of a larger pool of the best and brightest students to our program.
Develops and implements effective tools and tactics to enhance communication with all audiences
Writes news releases and feature articles and markets faculty stories to the news media
Organizes media availabilities, monitors and analyzes media coverage
Develops and maintains distribution lists for media
Communicates media relations advice and guidance to faculty members and staff and provides external communication support for 20 individual departments
- Provides content for faculty publications such as annual reports, pamphlets and fact sheets
- Contributes to website content, in particular news items, on an ongoing basis
- Contributes to social media activities including podcasts, vodcasts and digital products
- Takes and creates photo galleries and videos which contribute to the strategic messaging of the faculty
- Writes speeches for faculty leadership
- Develops and analyses evaluation surveys
- Works as part of a team to organize and share information about various events such as town hall meetings, forums, lectures, celebrations, etc.
- Performs other duties as required
- Post-secondary diploma in journalism and/or communications; undergraduate degree preferred; equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered
- Minimum of five years of current experience; preference will be given to candidates with experience in complex organizations
- Proven experience in media relations
- Extensive knowledge of media processes, deadlines and priorities
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills