Gowlings is a leading Canadian Law firm offering a diverse range of services within IP, Business and Advocacy law to help domestic and international organizations achieve their business objectives. Characterized by national strength and regional focus, Gowlings has over 700 professionals across offices in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Hamilton, Waterloo Region, Calgary, Vancouver, London UK, and Moscow and Beijing.
We are currently seeking an energetic, detailed, strategic, self-starter to join our fast paced Business Development team.
To develop and execute business development and marketing strategies for assigned groups and client teams, including research and analysis, strategy development, opportunity identification, leading pitches and responses to RFPs, project management, thought leadership development and budget management.
This position would be responsible for leading business development activities within the firm’s business law practice areas and requires the ability to “connect the dots” across organizational boundaries, drive change and achieve results in a highly collaborative, team-based environment.
The incumbent’s responsibilities may include, and are not limited to, the following:
- Work with group and client team leaders to develop annual business development strategies, plans and tactics, including tracking progress against plan and spend against budget.
- Support professionals and teams in the execution of key business development and marketing activities, including client targeting, cross-selling of firm services, developing pitches and client presentations, responding to RFPs, strategic participation in conferences and associations and developing and promoting content that promotes expertise and generates business development leads.
- Develop knowledge and insight of key trends and developments in relevant industry sectors or areas of legal service, including key clients, potential targets and key competitors.
- Lead or support other firm-wide business development and marketing initiatives on a project-basis.
- Any other duties as required.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
Do you have what it takes?
- Do you have a successful track-record in developing and implementing business development and marketing strategies and tactics?
- Do you have the interpersonal, influencing and consensus-building skills to drive progress and achieve outcomes across an international, matrix-based organization?
- Do you have the intellectual curiosity to be at the forefront of trends and developments in your areas of assigned responsibility and the lateral thinking ability to spot opportunities across groups, offices and geographies?
- Do you believe that more effective results are achieved through collaboration and have a proven ability in successfully coordinating the efforts of multiple individuals and groups?
- Do you have exceptional project management skills, with a demonstrated ability to progress multiple priorities simultaneously?
- Do you want to be part of the best law firm business development and marketing team in Canada?
- Degree in business and/or a business development and marketing-related discipline.
- Minimum seven years experience in business development and marketing roles, preferably in the context of a professional services organization.