Deadline: June 23, 2015.
Gowlings is a leading Canadian law firm offering a diverse range of services within intellectual property law, business law and advocacy to help organizations achieve their business objectives. Gowlings has over 700 professionals across offices in Montréal, Ottawa, Toronto, Hamilton, Waterloo Region, Calgary, Vancouver, Beijing, Moscow and London, U.K.
We are seeking an energetic self-starter to join our fast-paced Marketing Department in the role of Business Development Lead.
Note: Depending on the location of the right candidate, this position could be based in Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal, Calgary, Vancouver, Hamilton or Waterloo Region.
The incumbent's responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
- Oversee the development and implementation of business development (BD) plans for the firm’s industry, practice group, geographic and client teams
- Deliver business development programs and activities that align with firm-wide priorities and help drive revenue generation for the firm
- Manage, mentor and train members of the BD team through annual performance reviews, role descriptions, training and coaching
- Work with the National Marketing Director to determine the right staffing mix to support the firm’s BD efforts
- Drive structural effectiveness for the BD team, including the management, development and refinement of processes and procedures that will result in improvements to our BD infrastructure
- Provide regular status updates to the National Marketing Director on BD priorities, operational updates and challenges and solutions
- Develop metrics to measure and track BD efforts, and set goals for growth
- Work with the National Marketing Director on special projects as assigned
- Solid understanding of legal services marketing and the interplay of industry and practice groups and geographic and client teams from an internal infrastructure and external marketing perspective
- Ability to grasp and understand different industries and client portfolios in order to identify business development opportunities
- Ability to balance annual team priorities with tactical day-to-day leadership support requirements
- Ability to advance initiatives and achieve consensus with information that is incomplete, ambiguous or sensitive
- Ability to function as an enthusiastic team player and work collaboratively as part of a shared services team
- Strong leadership, coaching, mentoring and project management skills
- Strong attention to detail, with the ability to manage and roll-out multiple projects at the same time
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills, with the ability to present complex ideas clearly and succinctly, and exercise strong judgment
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college, preferably in finance, economics, marketing or communications
- Minimum of seven years’ experience in business development and marketing roles, preferably in the context of a professional services organization