Job Summary and Mission
This job contributes to Starbucks success by leading CPG Marketing & Category projects and brand management activities. Develops strategic assessments for products and manages the business against operating plans and budgets to achieve financial and business objectives. Models and acts in accordance with Starbucks guiding principles.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Directs and oversees external agencies to develop strategies and execute marketing creative (e.g. advertising) from creative brief development through concept evaluation to delivery of the final execution
- Leads cross-functional and/or cross-channel teams to develop integrated launch programs or marketing promotions that bridge Starbucks Retail and CPG objectives
- May lead cross-functional and/or cross-channel teams to develop new products and product-related marketing opportunities, from concept through commercialization and launch, including product and packaging
- Builds strong relationships within a matrix structure to ensure marketing message consistency and adherence to brand guardrails
- Coaches and mentors teams to enhance CPG Marketing & Category knowledge
- Flawlessly implements and executes marketing strategies to support business objectives
- Assists in the development of annual operating and marketing plans. Makes recommendations regarding product objectives and strategy, positioning, pricing, packaging, promotions and advertising
- Develops strategic assessments, including SWOT analyses, for products and programs.
- Identifies and quantifies specific product drivers in support of marketing calendar strategies.
- Initiates or suggests analysis (financial, consumption or consumer) to influence strategic plans.
- Monitors the domestic and global marketplace for new product innovations, competitors, lifestyle trends and emerging technologies.
- Applies consumer insights and market research to gain understanding of consumer, customer, competitive environment and channel needs for the product or category. Conducts and analyzes consumer research to determine new marketing and product opportunities and to validate new products and programs.
- May analyze information to support the development of a 12/18 month S&OP product forecast at the category level for new and existing products. Represents the M&C viewpoint in consensus and S&OP meetings
- Develops and manages product line business plans. Creates and presents the business case for new programs to support growth strategies and profitability targets. Makes recommendations regarding product objectives and strategy, positioning, pricing, packaging and product lifecycle. May provide information and direction for planning, forecasting and managing inventories across
Summary of Experience
- Total marketing and/or CPG experience 5-7 yrs
- Progressive experience in product or brand management in a top-tier CPG company 3+ yrs
- Project leadership in a cross-functional environment 3 yrs
- MBA strongly preferred
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong analytical and technical skills; comfortable with syndicated data
- Working knowledge of financial planning, forecasting assortment planning and inventory management
- Strong knowledge of CPG marketing vehicles and marketing fundamentals
- Ability to analyze business trends and financial metrics, including sales, return on investments, and profit and
- Must be able to work in a matrix environment, able to collaborate cross functionally, and be a strong team
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong organizational and problem solving abilities
- Functions effectively with ambiguity
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines