Venture Publishing has an opportunity available in our Edmonton office for a qualified associate art director for our custom publishing division.
Working in a collaborative team environment, the associate art director reports to the art director and participates in all aspects of the design and production of magazines and websites produced in our custom division.
- Design and layout of front of book
- Columns and features as assigned
- Commissioning and art directing photography/illustration
- Corrections to page proofs
- Participation in art/edit meetings
- Liaise with clients
- Management of illustrator/photographer contracts and invoices
- Design support for companion websites
- Design for collateral marketing materials
- Other duties as assigned.
Creative thinking, effective problem-solving, attention to detail and an understanding that good design facilitates clear communication are essential for this role, as is a passion for print and web design. Effective communication and time management skills and the ability to work under pressure are a must, as this is a deadline-driven business.
Our preferred candidate both reads magazines and surfs websites. He or she understands the similarities and differences in the way content is presented on paper, a mobile device and a desktop. You’ve heard of HTML5, keep up with digital design trends and are excited to develop digital products that are as visually engaging as our print magazines.
The successful applicant will have a degree or college diploma in design, be proficient within Mac environments and well-versed in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop). A minimum of three years experience in a design environment required.