Are you extremely organized and creative? Do you know what you like and are effective at articulating your ideas? Do you feed off of the collaborative process? Do you see the needs of the client and reader as equal yet unique? Then we are looking for you!
SPAFAX seeks an Art Director to join our intensely talented, award-winning team. The Art Director is a creative leader for the art department and a creative partner to the Managing Editor. Our ideal candidate is someone with strong organization skills who can work on multiple magazines. A keen creative problem-solver with strong leadership and communication skills, the Art Director must be confident with their work yet able to accept criticism. The Art Director has to maintain a strong visual style and be able to articulate visual concepts and direction to managers as well as acting as a mentor to junior art staff. This is someone who can command a team but when necessary can work alone to get the job done. This contract position is based in Toronto.
- An impressive C.V. with at least three years’ experience as an Art Director at a print publication, commissioning and researching photography for feature stories and editorial packages
- Experience in managing junior graphic designers, as well as vetting and hiring photographers
- A great roster of local photographers contacts
- Great rapport with photographers
- Published clips demonstrating exceptional storytelling
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills with an eye for detail