Headquarters: Vancouver, Canada
Do you get excited about working with talented engineers, empowering them to execute on projects, and helping them flourish through coaching and development opportunities? Are you known amongst your friends and colleagues as a master of organization—you reliably dot every “i” and cross every “t” while working on multiple priorities? For you, communicating effectively is of utmost importance as a leader—it’s ensuring that your audience (whether that’s your team or other stakeholders) has a clear understanding of your message and intent. You’re looking for a big challenge that holds big opportunities—and you’ll find that at Thinkific!
As an Engineering Team Lead at Thinkific, you will be part of the Learning Experience product team, working with Software Engineers, Product Designers, and Product Managers to guide and mentor a team of 4-7 people to deliver platform features and enhancements that better the student experience within the Thinkific platform. You’ll work with amazing engineers and other stakeholders in the business who are passionate about creating great experiences for our users while balancing technical and project needs. You’ll be responsible for helping the team plan and organize their work, supporting successful execution, and career growth through mentorship and coaching opportunities.
In this role, you will:
- Keep up to date with the latest trends and technologies in software in order to ensure that best practices for quality software development and testing methodologies are followed
- Work with Product Managers, Project Leads, and Engineers to ensure that business requirements have been turned into technical requirements with clear technical specifications and work with your team to identify and implement those specifications
- Act as a mentor to Software Engineers and ensure they have everything they need to do their best work
- Foster an open, collaborative, and inclusive environment for the team
- Engage in recurring 1-on-1s with team members and support their development through regular coaching and mentorship
- Prepare and carry out annual performance reviews and 6-month check-ins for team members
- Support Engineers effectively by identifying and unblocking the team, continually looking for ways to improve team efficiency and productivity
- Review implementation plans with the team
- Participate in architectural design, review, and implementation of production-quality features
- Work with Project Leads to establish timelines for the completion of the project and facilitate technical estimation by either doing technical estimation directly or supporting a team member’s effort
- Triage incoming bugs and tickets for the team and ensure triaged bugs get into sprints
- Be on call for support as needed—these are rotating, low-impact shifts
To be successful in this role, you must:
- Have 2+ years of experience leading and providing mentorship to a technical team, with a background in software development
- Demonstrate a history of accountability for technical projects and an understanding of how to make projects successful
- Feel comfortable in a room full of engineers—you can speak their language!
- Be experienced delivering project updates to a range of stakeholders and working with user feedback to inform and optimize projects
- Have a servant-leader mentality—you believe great leaders need to focus on the growth and well-being of their team members to be successful!
- Be responsible for giving feedback to others to help improve their performance (and be receptive to receiving feedback from others)
- Believe that writing tests as part of a feature is not just a nice to have, but is necessary
- Demonstrate experience using version management tools such as Git with Git Flow
You might be the person we’re looking for if you:
- Are eager to learn and grow—you’ve likely attended post-secondary education, continue to seek opportunities to level up your skills, or have equivalent professional experience in a similar role
- Believe that better solutions are achieved through collaboration rather than independently
- Read our How we build at Thinkific blog and are excited about how we work, Blue Sky Week and the challenges we are solving for our customers
- Are driven to continually improve by investing time in learning about new technologies or working on your own projects
- Have worked with a technical team or product feature team in the past
- Feel that “organized, with attention to detail” doesn’t even begin to describe you. You’ll have a lot of responsibility and also autonomy—no one will be looking over your shoulder to be sure you’ve got it right! A keen eye for detail is key in everything you do—quality over quantity is the name of the game.
- Have previous Project Management or SCRUM experience
- Are already well-versed in the fundamentals of software design and testing
- Get excited by the chance to present and share project updates with your team and others at the company
Bonus points if you:
- Previously worked for a SaaS-based startup or growing technology company
- Have a strong network of A-players to support our recruiting and people development efforts
- Are comfortable with programming—you’ve been a software engineer yourself in the past!
- Have experience coordinating with DevOps teams in previous roles
- Have an eye for design—you know what good design truly looks like
This is an incredible role for the right candidate. We can’t wait to meet you!
To apply: https://weworkremote..eam-lead-1
Perfect your job application with VisualCV so you can get hired faster!