Associate Director, Publishing Full-Time
The Marketing, Sales, and IT Division at The Conference Board of Canada is seeking an Associate Director who will be responsible for the overall management of its publishing department. The publishing department supports both print and web-based products of The Conference Board of Canada and The Niagara Institute.
Reporting to the Vice-President, the Associate Director, with the support of seven direct reports, ensures the efficient procurement and relationship management of twenty external suppliers. These suppliers include freelance editors, translators, design services, translators, video editor, and print companies.
This permanent full-time position is based in Ottawa and is available immediately.
- Establish and maintain annual objectives and program plan for the publishing group.
- Oversee the work plan, schedules, software solutions, publishing tools, and tracking for all major publishing projects.
- Manage, coach and develop staff.
- Develop and oversee task-tracking tools for the publishing staff for workload measurement and analysis.
- Analyze production statistics and key performance metrics and develops and implements efficient, cost-effective business decisions to both processes and staffing strategies.
- Maintains the organization’s brand standards (ie: look, tone and manner) for all published and presentation materials.
- Articulate needs of internal stakeholders for publishing services, establishes and monitors adherence to internal publication processes.
- Manage suppliers and co-ordinate the work to ensure the provision of excellent service and smooth working relations.
- Helps to set the strategic direction for the organization’s production process, and, in doing so, keeps current on merging trends, software and skill sets.
Skills and Qualifications
- An undergraduate degree in marketing, business, or related discipline.
- 5+ years of supervisory or management experience in a publishing/production environment.
- Strong people management and communication skills.
- Strong service orientation.
- Strong business and financial acumen.
- Ability to work under pressure with strong problem solving skills and techniques.
- Capability of managing multiple priorities.
- Proficient in a print and web-based product environment and associated software and technology platforms.